Sunday 3 October 2010

EDSC Yarmouth Cruise

Last weekend I joined the EDSC cruise to Yarmouth. This was the last organised trip of the year so I was keen to go along. I stayed on the boat on Friday night, rowing out at 1am with the moon illuminating the harbour and very calm water. I set the alarm for 5:30 but kept hitting the snooze button, eventually getting up at about 6:30, emerging bleary eyed with a cup of coffee to see Geoff rowing out to Jintan.
There was a good selection of boats going over but as always Jelly Bean was the slowest. I was out through the harbour entrance by 8am, it was a bit aof a struggle against the tide, making 2 knots on full power, once away from the channel there were no more problems and Jelly Bean fair flew on a beam reach all the way to Yarmouth. The wind was a solid, steady F4 from the North and with the tide I made Hurst Castle by 12 noon which is my best time by far. All helped by not having to Tack, steady wind and calm sea state.
The speed over ground peaked at just over 7Knts but was generally around 5Knts. I was looking forward to downloading the track from the GPS but unfortunately I had filled the memory earlier in the year and hadn't noticed... Guess I've had a good years sailing!











I dropped the sails outside the harbour and motored in, there is a harbour mooring officer motoring around all the time to assist with finding space. I had a little mishap during mooring which I am going to gloss over but I did come clean and the owner of the much bigger, much shinnier boat just laughed it off, as always, it's the manouvering in confined spaces which is much harder than bouncing about in the open sea.
I was third boat out but in some places they were five deep. I clamboured across my neighbours onto the pontoon and made for the harbour office. Unfortunately the pontoon wasn't attached to terra firma so I clamboured back over my neighbours and pumped up my dinghy. Fees paid, I took the short strole into town. I needed some BBQ bits and I thought I'd also have a well deserved pint in the Kings Head.. this sailing lark is hard work.
Back on board I prepared a lunch of smoked ham, bacon & tomato tortellini in a pleasant Mediterranean sauce; very filling; it induced an hours sleep.
We had a BBQ planned on the beach at 4pm, quite early but at this time of year light and temperature go hand in hand. I have to say I was still full from lunch so only had two sausages in a roll which was more than enough. This was probably one of the coldest BBQ's I'd ever been to. We had two sets of club members who were arriving later. We kept the BBQ going for them but I was wishing I'd brought my heavy jacket with me.




With every one feed we retreated to the Bugle Inn for a pint or two before paddling back to our respective craft. There was an impromtu night cap on 'Lapwing'.. Five people on a Corribee is Cosy :~)
We had a good lie in on Sunday as the tidal gate would not be in our favour until about 12 noon. It was a bit blowier than yesterday and I determined to have a reef in from the off. I fried my remaining two sausages with some onion in Coke (Didn't have any butter, lard or oil and the sausages refused to give up enough fat to stop them sticking to the pan). Tasted suprisingly OK, I was fully prepared to throw them away but I think I may have discovered a new culinery trend.
I tidied the boat, deflated and stowed the tender and motored out of the harbour. I pick up one of the large bouys outside the harbour to give me a fighting chance of getting the sails up with out getting blown ashore. I put one reef in the main a went for a test sail in the solent on different points of sail to make sure I was happy with the set up before heading out of the solent. It was balanced beautifully and I was even able to go into the cabin without lashing the tiller and without her chosing a course of her own.
There was a large motor yacht in the solent which I was reliably informed was Roman Abramovich's Le Grande Bleu. It's one of the biggest Luxury Yachts in the world at 370Feet. Just a toy he has given it to one of his friends.


Heading out through the Needles channel was quite exhilerating, plenty of speed, and a bit bouncy but never scarey. On the way through I saw 'Mistress' A 24 foot wooden boat built by one of the Club members in a car park two years ago as a project while he recovered from Heart surgery.... Some people are just too talented. He regularly races in the evening series and is very competitive. It also has a lifting keel so floats in a puddle. For me the only down side is that it is made of wood, I prefer the much less labour intensive plastic hulls.
The trip back was as fast as the way over although it was much gustier (if that is a real word) especially as I approached Hengistbury head. One of the great pieces of navigational equipment that has come my way, quite by chance, was the Apple iPhone which my company has kindly provided. I have Windguru loaded on with all my favourite locations saved as favourites. Great for checking tides, weather and facebook; It also comes in handy for work!
I was heading back in towards Bournemouth when I spotted two of the club boats close to the shore. The Commodore in Jamie Bump and Geoff in Jintan. I tucked in behind them and followed them into the harbour. This was the first time I'd started the engine since leaving Yarmouth which is always the sign of a good sail.

A great way to finish off the season, Ill' try and get out again before I drag her out but time is running out.

4 comments:

  1. All power to your elbow matey, look like you had fun - was this a solo trip or with crew?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was on me lonesome for this one, although intouch with other club members on the VHF. Really enjoyed it. I'm going to try and have at least one more over nighter before she comes out. How's Papillon?

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's good - though she comes out of the water this Sunday, and before then I'll have to bring her all the way round Hayling Island (don't want to drop the mast and I'm going to let the clubs hoist recover me this year - much less stressful!)

    Was going to go today, but something at work cropped up, so am currently planning for Wednesday during the day - it won't be much fun though, I have to do it in one (long'ish) tide so there'll be a lot of motoring...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying these blogs Capt Pug.... I mean, Mr B :-D

    ReplyDelete