Sunday 28 August 2011

Shopping

Shopping.... What's that got to do with a sailing blog?   Ah well, it just goes to show that some good can come from a bad start.

Julie wanted to go to Gunwarf Quay to do some shopping and as my niece has recently moved to Southampton I thought it would be nice to invite her along.   The drive into Portmouth was particularly slow, not helped by the fact that I'd missed the first exit off the M27 and Pompey were playnig at home.
We eventually got parked and got about the serious business of shopping, Espresso at Cafe rouge,  lunch at Jamie's Italian, that kind of thing. We were going to stop for another coffee so I suggested that we went to Port Solent as Ali hadn't been there. 
I thought we could go to LLoyds as they have a nice outside area over looking the marina. As we walked along the Marina I noticed that the pub had changed it's name to the 'Sir Alex Rose' ... I was just about to say "that's the bloke who sailed solo around the world in the late 60's" when Jewels pointed to 'My Lively Lady' moored along side.
The charity 'around and Around' operates My Lively Lady and 'Robertons Golly' to encourage young people with diminishing prospects to pull together. For me it was just great to be able to step aboard both these boats. I shall have to re read the books now as I will be able to visualise so much more having been on the actual vessels.
Ali and me beside Robertsons Golly

To finish we had more coffee at Prezzos over looking these two historic yachts... Not sure if it was all the coffee or the yachts that was making me buzz. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment