The plan was to have a full week off work and take Jelly Bean to the Solent to properly explore some of the great anchorages and harbours that can be found there. However, as shown in my last blog the weather didn't want to play ball, and the weekend just didn't happen. Hurricane Katia was in her final death throws over the Irish Sea and it was just too windy to take Jelly Bean out to Sea.
I kept an eye on the weather and it was looking good to go around Tues / Weds. I gathered my things and on Tuesday evening I made my way to the boat . I planned to make my way to Emsworth Via the South side of the Isle of Wight, potentially stopping at Freshwater or Bembridge on the way depending on wind & tide. Then make my way back through the Solent to meet up with the EDSC rally at Yarmouth on Saturday. On Tuesday the forecast was looking good for the Weekend.
Tuesday - A false start, I loaded the tender and motored out to Jelly Bean, as I approached I noticed the boom didn't look right and the sail was hanging out of the boom cover. Once aboard I could see that the Goose neck fitting and the shackle from the rear of the boom had gone missing. I wasn't sure if they'd been stolen or just shaken loose in the wind. It seemed a bit inconceivable that so much could have just come loose!
I settled in for the night and cracked open the cider as I was clearly going nowhere. I set the alarm for 5.30 as there was going to be a very low tide I there was just a chance that I'd be able to find the missing parts with the tide fully out.`
|Safely tucked up in Ventnor.|
As time was pressing on I immediately got to work trying to find a replacement engine. I started by asking everyone I met if they knew of one for sale. I have to say, the people I met in Ventnor, from the Guys who towed me onwards were all super helpful and friendly. I went to the cafe and a chap there offered to drive me to Bembridge to pick up an engine, unfortunately Bembridge Outboards had nothing suitable for me.
|Pie, peas n gravy.. oh yes.|
Back to the job in hand, after chatting to a couple of people with regards to my engine problem it was suggested that I checked the fuel. Sure enough I could see globules of water in the bottom of the tank, I propped it up and left it for an hour to let all the water sink to the bottom corner, I then used the fuel tube with the priming bulb to pump out all the water. After cleaning to plugs again the engine fired up and ran beautifully, pumping water like a fire engine. Although I was chuffed I still wanted a new engine as I had lost confidence in this one.
|Jelly Bean settles in to the stinking weed of Ventnor :o(|