Thursday 23 December 2010

New Hawk Antenna.

One piece of equipment that I have been meaning to buy for sometime is a Windex type apparent wind indicator. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I saw this ad on the PBO Forum.

Hawk masthead ariel and wind indicator



This is a combined masthead VHF ariel and wind direction indicator - don't wait for yours to fail - change it now whilst the mast is down


Cost new £70 plus p&p selling for £47 including p&p
 


















As I had managed to snap my antenna against the house wall I thought this would be a good opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and save some money in the process.
Due to the snow and Christmas postage it took a while for it to turn up but when I got home from work on Monday it was sitting in the hall waiting for me. All excited I unwrapped it and put it together. It was as new and still in it's box as you can see but when I assembled it I realised that I had two port indicators :( It's not just the colour of the indicator, the plastic is shaped to give the correct angle according to the locking block selected.

Losely fitted together



showing two port indicators


















I did a quick google search and spoke to Hawk, at Hayling Island, who said that the arms are available seperately for just a couple of quid. Fab.. I'm sure that I could make these ones fit but I will pop in next time I am over there and pick one up. That way I'll know where the wind is coming from.. I still have L&R on my shoes :~P
If the old antenna is still useable I shall repair it with some heat shrink and mount it on the push pit rail as a spare incase the mast ever comes down.

2 comments:

  1. Ha... you'll be like that bloke who decided to travel to Southampton by always keeping the coast on his left and ended up permanently circumnavigating Canvey Island.... :o))

    Give us a shout if you want me to go and get you one of those arms - I'm sure my postage will be less than theirs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I should donate it to Dylan Winter... He only ever turns left :D
    I was going to come over today and give you a shout but I have succombed to the dreaded manflu.
    I feel a course of hot toddies coming on XD hic!

    ReplyDelete