Sunday 12 December 2010

Reefing lines part 1

As I have finally finish both dodgers and the temperature has risen to 5 or 6 degrees, I thought it a good idea to get out and tick another job off my ever growing list.
When I had the new main sail made I asked for slab reefing points to be put on. This they did and for the last three years I have been reefing in a very Heath Robinson stylee; using any bits of rope that I could lay my hands on when needed.
I had bought some of the hardware two years ago but never got around to fitting it. This is what happens when you leave getting the boat ready until February :~)
After reading 'A silhouette called Misty' I thought it about time to get on with it.

I positioned the anchor point and the cheak block opposite each other so that when the clew was pulled against the boom the reefing line would be at about 45 degrees.
Both of these were pop riveted onto the boom while the cam cleat for the control line was held on with countersunk machine screws. The boom was simply drilled and tapped to accept these.
The gear for No2 Reef was position on the opposite side of the boom to balance things out.

Full Sail


First reef


Second reef

The reefs seem quick and easy to put in although this was on my front garden with absosutely no breeze blowing :~) The line in the picture is cheap stretchy line from B&Q that I had in the shed and is only to assess how it works; these will be replaced when I know how much line I will need.
Currently the tack still needs manually hooking onto the reefing horns but I will change this as I want to be able to reef the sail without leaving the safety of the cockpit.


2 comments:

  1. hu uh... no way..... sounds like more sewing and my poor fingers can't take any more. :D

    ReplyDelete