Thursday 8 April 2010

Shake down sail

Ok.. Boats in the water, time to see if I can remember how to sail.
Forecast was for 4 or 5 with gusts upto 28mph. As I have a brand spanking new jib from Saunders Sails I thought I'd give it a go. Slipped the mooring with just the jib up and off I went. Sooo much better than the old rag. Was even able to tack, something I used to struggle with with both sails up.
Back to the mooring and fitted the main. By this time the gusts had blown out and the wind seemed fairly steady at about f4. I had the cut down blanking plate fitted to the well so it's time to see how she goes, unfortunately I'd left my GPS at home so would be hard to really see how she was going to go.
Off I went again, a little over sailed and a fair amout of weather helm. I'd forgotten how lurchy JB can be, especially with only one person on board. I headed off towards Brownsea Castle putting in various Tacks and Gybes, it's all starting to come back to me. Then headed back towards Sandbanks to Check on what looks like an abandoned Fantasie 19. It's been there for last two years with no mast, torn dodgers, lots of weed growing on it and the anchor thrown on the back going rusty. Blinking shame, I did see the owner three years ago and he was in poor health. I hope he is ok and able to keep this boat away from the shredder.
I then did a quick lap of Brownsea island, was a bit slow up Blood alley and the wind is blocked and veers around the islands, then fired like a cork out of a bottle back through the harbour to the mooring, which I picked up under sail, single handed first time... A miracle, guaranteed I won't be able to do that with an audience!
The centre of effort needs moving back slightly but apart from that I was well happy. The jib was superb and the blanking plate cut down on all the turbulance in the well.

2 comments:

  1. Weather helm, or lee helm?? If she's fighting to come up into the wind in the gusts (so your yanking the tiller towards you to stop turning) then it's definitely weather helm, it's what I was getting a lot of last year... but if that's so you want to move your CofE forwards - either a reef, or in my case roll, in the main, and/or unroll jib as well... either that or you need a trapeze... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha.. Maybe a trapeze then. I was somewhat over canvassed for the conditions.

    ReplyDelete