Wednesday 13 July 2011

Dunked Engine

I had planned to have a long weekend in the Solent in the Middle of June and hopefully meet up with Arran and Steve while I was at it... The weather turned out to be appauling so was cancelled.  I made the mistake of going down to the club with the intention of at least going over to Jelly Bean just to be on her and maybe do some of those small jobs that always need doing.
I had just plonked my ouboard on the transom of my tender when a large wave came in and bounced it off the back before I could get the clamps tightened.
It dissappeared beneath the waves then suddenly popped back up, The air in the cowling gave it some buoyancy, I tried to grab it but couldn't get a grip and down it went again.
I stripped of to my undie on the jetty and jumped in to get it, It was only in about 4 foot of water but still required me to be fully submerged in what can only be described as 'chilly' water.
Once recovered I put it on the barrel that we use to flush through the impeller before going in the get dry and put the kettle on.
I then pulled out the plugs, and pulled the starter to pump out any water, I don't think it had taken any into the cylinder but I thought it best to drain it rather than bend to crank or worse by having it fire with water in the cylinder.
I checked for a spark then gave it a few pulls... It fired up and ran for a few seconds then wouldn't run again. One of the member recommended soaking a rag in fuel and holding it inn front of the carb.  A great technique, the engine fired and ran as before but kept cutting out. I had to repeat this several times before it would run on its own.  The Jets in the carb had obviously got wet and needed a good clean, I didn't have any carb cleaner so this technique eventually cleared it.  I libral spray with fresh water and then WD40 and then it was put back on the rack. 4 hours, knackered and half drowned and I hadn't even left the pontoon... What fun :)

No comments:

Post a Comment