Wednesday 13 July 2011

GPS to VHF and a surprise trip to Studland

I have not been able to get my GPS to talk to the VHF which is a bit of a blow because it could be a real life saver,. I was never sure if it was the GPS or the Radio that was to blame.  My brother has a Garmin GPS60 like mine so when he came down the other weekend I asked him if I could borrow it to try to deduce which one was to blame.  I connect Steve's to the radio and it still didn't work.  Then I remembered I needed to change some settings so went through the menus, selected NMEA on the interface and there on the VHF display was the co-ordinates. Superb, I just need a new GPS now.

Happy with this result, I started to tidy up ready to go home when Paul (Lapwing) paddled past asking where I was going, hmmm the seed was set; lets go to Studland, to which he replied 'what, to the 'Bank's Arm'
I was ready to go before Paul and as his Corribee is faster than Jelly Bean I said I'd get going and see him on the way.  I had a great sail over, the wind was only about a F2 but it was enough, I took a long starboard tack out of the harbour; Paul didn't see me way out to the left and I saw him roll away his jib, I didn't want to motor so he got there a fair while before me.

On the way I spent a bit of time tacking with this fella, I'm not sure what it is but looked nice on the water. I picked up a mooring in the bay and Paul paddled over in his dinghy to pick me up. We had an enjoyable pint in the pub and then back to Jelly Bean for another tinny.  The wind had died completely now so we motored the whole way back.

N.B the motor performed perfectly sounding and feeling stronger than ever before... It's still going to get replaced. :~)

4 comments:

  1. You need a new GPS - I'd need a new radio... :o))

    Love the look of that boat you were tacking with... outboard well???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's aSwift 18.. Look at this blog spot, outboard in a well.
    http://dreamtimeswift18.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's lovely - a foot wider than a Fantasie, but surprisingly, a lower displacement as she's a little lighter... she ticks my boxes and no I'm not thinking of getting rid of Papillon ... yet..... :o))

    ReplyDelete