Monday 18 April 2011

Sand Castles and Squirrels

I managed to get out on sunday for the first potter of the season.  The first job was to strip the carb on the outboard, which although having new plugs and filters decided that it didn't want to run unless on choke.  A good squirt in every nook and cranny with carb cleaner and it was running fine again. 
I headed off without a plan or even knowing the tide times, I was just glad to be afloat again. The wind was fairly none existant but it gave mejust enough forward motion to get around the back of Brownsea island.  By now the tide was flowing out quicker than I could go forward under sail so I nosed her onto the beach so I could explore the island.



Strange how I can't wait to get out on the boat and as soon as I'm on it I'm looking for a place to stop :-)  Brownsea is a wonderful place to visit ,as any scout will tell you.  I'm not going to ramble on so here's a few piccies.


 One of the islands most famous residents


 a mistle thrush (I think)

No mistaking this one... it's a dog

The ugliest floater I've ever seen.

I spent about 3 hours wondering around the island, talking to the animals and having tea with hot cross buns, well it is easter. I was back on board by 5.30 but the tide wouldn't be back for another 1/2 hour or so, so I found some more little jobs to do. The main one was fitting the ariel connector on the new ariel lead.  With the boat afloat once again I drifted with the incoming tide to the top of Brownsea but as I got to pottery pier the flow slowed and the lack of wind became apparent.  I fired up the outboard and motored back to the mooring.
That's the first one out of the way, I can't wait to get an organised trip under my belt.  Bembridge is on my list this year.... Better check the calender.

2 comments:

  1. Yee gods... were you referring to the boat or the occupant?? :o))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a grand day out for a first outing. That boat sure is ugly can it really be called a boat or a pontoon? Each to their own I guess. Sea witch still needs a lot of work but hopeful to get her on the water soon. In Dubai at moment, 41degs yesterday so a bit too hot for anything. Andy

    ReplyDelete