Friday 5 November 2010

Hatch sliders

During the summer, every time I looked across the companion way hatch the rusty screw heads on the hatch would wind me up. Any fastener on a boat should be stainless as all other metals will just disolve or go furry.Fortunately I had the good sense to leave well alone until the end of the season.


It was a real struggle to get these apart without damaging the fibre glass. The sliders are a mixture of what looks like perspex and Tufnol so have probably been replaced at some time in the past. Also bourne out by the saw marks on the GRP around the screw heads.
What I need to know now is, is there an off the self replacement for these or do I need to fabricate new ones.
And if so what out off? Tufnol, Acetal, Aluminium or something else. The runners are aluminium so I'm assuming they will need to be made of something softer. The bolts will certainly have to be A4 Stainless.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

4 comments:

  1. Mine looked just like yours.... see...

    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239844&highlight=hatch+fantasie

    :o))))

    In the end I made my own using those brown plastic joint blocks you buy from the DIY shop for joining two boards together (they use them in flat pack furniture a lot). I used the one with the central hole for a bolt as it's already countersunk at one end...

    Cut a piece off each end so that the hole is in the middle - total width equal to the width of your channel... then cut an "L" shape out of each side to fit the gap in the top of the channel.... I used a junior hacksaw for the cutting.... fettle it up with sandpaper and stanley knife.... 30 minutes got me two and that's it hatch fixed! Bolt goes through the hole in the middle, bolt head in the countersunk end, up through the hole in the hatch, new stainless steel nut on top, voila...

    Give me a shout if you want to see a picture..

    I plan to make another two this winter for the forward end of the hatch which wasn't high priority for me as the front of my hatch is held by the padlock attachment when it's closed so security wasn't compromised...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Yours look exactly like mine - they may well be original!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, simple solutions always work for me.... Not sure what that says about me ;D
    I have 3D modelled them in CAD so I can make up at a later date if I want to. (I'm less likely to lose at computer file than a piece of paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I have a copy? If you or anyone can make them, let me know - might be cheaper if we need two sets....?????? :o)))

    ReplyDelete