Friday 19 November 2010

The cost of winter moorings

Every now and then while I'm boring non sailors rigid with tales of swashbuckling adventure (Well as non sailors they'll never know the truth ;~P) some one will ask why I don't leave my boat in the water all year.

It's a good question.. I even ask it off myself sometimes. There are always some fantastic winter days when you could put several layers on and go and explore knowing full well that even in Poole and the Solent you'll be able to find lots of peace and quiet... no motor boats, no jet skis no dinghy racing. I'm not being curmudgeonly, everyone has the right to use the water but occasionally it would be nice to get out on the water out of season and enjoy the peace and quiet.
The reasons that I have fall into two areas, Cost and Practicality. It would certainly cost more to keep the boat afloat during the winter. EDSC only have seasonal moorings so I would have to find a suitable alternative in a sheltered part of the harbour, I would then also have to upgrade my insurance adding more cost.
On the practical side is the fact that the boat deteriorates quite quickly over the few months that it is afloat and it seems to take a life time to complete the jobs that need doing.
Jelly Bean will of been out of the water for Four weeks on Sunday and it's difficult to see what I've done since she came out. (The unfinished jobs are the give away).

Another very good reason for taking the boat out over the winter is to avoid potentially writing the boat off during winter storms and high winds. This Hurley 20 was washed up at Shore Road, Sandbanks the other day. looks like it had broken away from it's mooring at Northshore and scooted across the harbour and up onto the beach. The rudder was missing and I don't suppose the landing was gentle or over with quickly. Bad enough for the owner of this boat but also how many craft could it of hit on it's dash for freedom?
I don't intend to rush out a rent a mooring further up the harbour but I am going to double my efforts to get Jelly Bean ready early so I can drag her down on the trailer for a weekends sailing or two, maybe ever somewhere exotic... like Devon or the Norfolk Broads and enjoy the peace, quiet and the stunning scenery and sunsets that are enhanced by the superb light that you only get in the winter.

4 comments:

  1. Nice sunset pictures...

    W.r.t winter sailing, if the weather recently has been anything to go by then I'd only want to sail one day in five or six anyway, but add in the tides, and the time off required (ie. weekends), and it's getting nearer to one in twelve.... but I'm going back in the water in March so that gives me... two weekends when I might get out to sail! :o))) She's better off ashore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fair point.. I think the winter is for us to go down the pub and spend some quality time embelishing our sailing stories... 'It was a force 9 as I surfed in through the harbour entrance with a bacon buttie in one hand, narrowly missing the killer whale.....' xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha... check this out....

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBsA3wa5OGE&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... I'm impressed, that could have gone so so wrong!

    ReplyDelete