Saturday 13 November 2010

Sail cover part 1

I have always been envious of those of you who have nice canvas sail covers and dodgers with the name of the boat emblazoned on them. I have had quotes for sail covers to be made but have always shied away as I would prefer to spend that kind of money on a world cruise.
So whilst browsing eBay the other day I came across a local supplier of Canvas. http://www.acorncanvas.com/ . I had some work in that direction the following day so arranged to go and see what he had a see if he could give any advice on how to make such thing.
What a great guy, really helpful, I came a way with Canvas and thread, I'll leave the fixings until I have decided what method will be best for me.


I had been given a rough idea of how to go about making the cover so once at home I fired up the ageing tower PC and designed the pattern on auto cad to make the best use of the material. I then marked this out on the Canvas, I know, a professional would mark the canvas with a purpose bought chalk or some thing but I just laid down some masking tape and mark it up with a biro.

The curves were marked with what ever come to hand, a nice 200mm diameter pan lid for the boot top, I had to free hand the 300mm radius as I could find a 600mm diameter pan in the kitchen :D
Tools of the trade above,auto cad pattern, tape measure, piece of wood for a straight edge, pan lid and masking tape... if it  works don't knock it.
Once I'd cut out one side I used that as a template for the other side to ensure that they were both the same.

Then cut that side out ready to sew.

More high tech machinery.. I picked this up from Freecycle a couple of years back and it is the Bees Knees. Built in Scotland in 1907 it still works perfectly... If only I could sew in a straight line.

Here it is with both sides sewn together along the back bone. A 3/4 inch hem then double sewn  along its length.

First trial fit. Lots of amussing comments from neighbours about weather forcasts etc as I put the mast up and the sail on the boom. I used clothes pegs to hold in place while I measured where the next cuts should be.
Well that's it for now. I think you'll agree it look pretty good even in its unfinished state.

Well the Sail cover is now finished.. Hoorah. I have a zip to close the front and a row of turnbuckles to close the underside.  The back end has a draw string running through it and the boot top has a strap that wraps around and ties tight.
I'm really happy with it and will add some pics later :D
Just need to start on the dodgers now (Lettering is already cut out, that took a while to get right).

No comments:

Post a Comment